List of the best 5 car rental services in the UK
We get enquiries every day to rent cars for 1–2 weeks, but its not something we offer. All of our short term car leases are based on periods of at least 28 days, with our best prices at 90 days or more. But I do use daily rental car hire and here are my top 5.
Now, before I start this list I’ve got no affiliation with the companies and providing the list based on my own experiences. I will of course the best 5 long term car hire companies at the bottom of this article also.
So here are the list of the best 5 car rental services in the United Kingdom
- Europcar — By far one of the best in the UK, in terms of customer service and counter staff. On top of this, I’ve never had an issue with a UK supplied car hire from these guys. Although they have been in the press about return conditions, personally, I’ve only had one occasion when I’ve had an issue, which was resolved straight away.
- Avis — Not as popular as many of the other big boy car hire firms in the UK, I have found Avis to be really good in the UK, when Europcar was either too expensive or not available in a location. Their preferred program is great and makes check out an easy option. Quick Tip: I’ve found their website to be expensive, however, when booking through British Airways (without travel) I’ve managed to bring the cars down in price by quite a bit.
- Thrifty — Currently owned by Hertz, but run by franchisees, Thrifty is a great option for car hire, although their locations can be hard to come by. Also the cars can be older depending on the location. Great prices online.
- Budget — Part of the Avis network and occasionally not much difference in price. Again, this can be booked through British Airways to get the price down, although not every location is covered. Great weekend offers where I have managed to get a Fiat 500 for just £15 for the weekend.
- Hertz — Massive company but with higher prices than their competitors. Hertz was Ford dominant at one time, but they have introduced some different models to their car hire fleet. Hertz Gold Card scheme, similar to Avis Preferred, is a must if you use car hire with Hertz on a regular basis.
Long Term Car Rental Options
If you are looking for Long Term Car Rental options, then using the 5 companies above, may not be the most efficient option. Especially if you are a corporate or business and can supply your own fleet policy.
So I have compiled a list of long term car rental firms in the UK, some of which offer schemes such as Car Subscription or Short Term Car Leases that may prove more cost effective.
- Flexigo Cars UK — If you need a car for 28 days or more, then Flexigo Cars offer long term car hire (flexifleet) or car subscription services to get you on the road. This service is great for people like Expats and Overseas visitors.
- Cocoon Vehicles — Yes, I have to blow my own trumpet but my company based in Belper, Derbyshire have over 300 cars, all on long term car hire, car subscription or short term car lease. We offer our solutions to a wide variety of customers from individuals, SME’s, corporates and overseas visitors and Expats. The best prices on their long term car rental options is from 90 days, although, 28 days plus is possible.
- Drover — If you want a car without the hassle, but you also need the insurance. Then Drover is one of the best options for Car Subscriptions in the UK. Lots of options on cars and their partners can deliver the cars quick. There are some older cars listed, so please be wary.
- NVG Ltd — Based in the North, the guys at NVG offer a wide range of car and vans on fixed and flexible car leases. Underwriting is done in house so being accepted is very possible, you just need to show affordability and stability.
- Short Term Car Leasing Ltd — Its in the name, short term car leases, car subscriptions and long term car hire with the latter available on 28 days and the best prices from 90 days or more. Flexible new and nearly new cars, some come with maintenance for true fixed cost motoring.
Additional Articles of Interest
Can you lease a car for 6 months?
Leasing a car for a shorter time frame than the traditional 2 or 3 years has been possible for quite a long time now, I…
5 ways to get a car lease as an Expat in the UK
For those who have left the UK for work or personal reasons, then headed back to try and pick up where you left off…
UK Tesla Referral Code - Rhys Adams
Before you go ordering that shiny RHD Tesla Model 3 like me, don't forget to use a Referral Code/Link. This will give…
Rent A Car Long Term
For some people, renting a car monthly is the solution to their transportation requirements. Whether you require a car…
What are Short Term Car Leases?
Short Term Car Leases are becoming extremely popular in the UK, especially with Brexit looming and the analysts…
About Me & My Business
I run a small business in Belper, Derbyshire called Cocoon Vehicles. I set it up after working in dealerships and wanting to offer something a little different to other businesses.
I write about various subjects surrounding my interests and hope that my readers find the information helpful. I love to hear from people with their opinions, good and bad and will always try and reply.